Monday, May 7, 2012

Tour du Rouge - Day 1

We started the ride from the Double Tree just outside Bush Intercontinental Airport. I was able to stay with one of the lead packs for about 8 - 10 miles. Then I had about 20 riders come by me, like it was nothing.

The staff and volunteers are top notch. The rests stops are well placed and staffed by wonderful people. Many riders that I have spoken to have said that this is one of the best rides that they have ever experienced.

Now to the ride. The first day was a challenge for me. It seemed like I was climbing all day. Not big climbs, just a long and seemingly endless upward grade that made you wish for a few rollers to breakup the monotony. I had a great ride. Had some cramping issues about 5 miles out of China, which was the last rest top. Leaving the rest stop, I was in the group of the last 3 riders of the day. Shortly afterward I pulled away and paced at about 17 mph the final 15 miles into Beaumont.






No comments:

Post a Comment